Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Reaching Out

This piece is very interesting for me, for a number of reasons. First, from a process standpoint. Last spring/summer? I had this completed oil painting, which I really liked. I asked Deet if she wanted to paint over it. WHile it was still very wet, I handed her a house painting roller. She rolled away, eliminating the painting that once was. I think she felt bad about this, but I found it inspiring. What it was to become was something much different than I could have created otherwise. For months, I would look at this piece, seeing all kinds of things in it. I would just add tiny marks here and there, mostly just to accentuate the already interesting textures. What I see in it now is a constantly shifting image. I didn't want to put anything too definite, subject matter wise, in this, so that this effect would not be lost. Every time I look at this painting, I see something completely different. It really is cooler to see this effect up close/ in person, as I don't know if the dimensionality will translate digitally.

No comments: